Re: Relative velocity problem....

At 09:21 PM 9/10/97 -0400, you wrote:

Please help me get a concept across to my students. Here is the problem:

A person rides in the back of a pick-up truck moving forward at +20 mph
(relative to ground). The person throws a brick toward the back of the
truck at -5 mph (relative to the truck). What is the resultant velocity of
the brick relatvive to the ground?

I know that the brick will move forward at + 15 mph relative to the ground.
My students can't really believe this. Oh, they will accept it simply
because I told them that is what happens, but they do not really believe
that you can throw something backwards yet have it really be moving
foreward relative to the ground. I have no modeling software (i.e.
Interactive Physics) at the moment. And short of going to the parking lot
with a truck and a brick (maybe basketball -- safer) I am at a loss getting
them to believe this.

Actually, this is the _best_ solution! The mantra for teaching physics
ought to be "Experiment, experiment, experiment" rather than "Software,
software, software" ! :)

Department of Physics * "Spoon-feeding, no matter how attractive *
Randolph-Macon College * at 1300 hours on a Friday afternoon, *
P.O. Box 5005 * does little to encourage *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * a free-thinking mind." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Elizabeth Timoney (1994) *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - New Scientist, Vol 142, p 1926 *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html