Re: Physics and Lit Suggested ideas?? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:54:34 -0500 (EST)
From: Delphi High School <pmason@wvec.k12.in.us>
To: Sharing resources for high school physics <PHYSHARE@lists.psu.edu>
Cc: PHYSHARE@lists.psu.edu
Subject: Re: Physics and Lit Suggested ideas??

Now I'd like some help from those who have read Longitude and teach
physics. I must admit I am now "reading" it on tape on the way to school,
as is the Eng teacher who teaches the advanced Eng. class. We have most
of the same students and have decided to do an interdisciplinary project
using the book.

Here's where I need help from those of you who have read it. So many
ideas jump into my mind about the problems addressed by the book. Too
many. Do any of you have concrete projects in mind for such a project? I
can see analyzing the conflict between the clockwork star-group and the
chronometer group. Is this when the astromomers separated from the
astrologer? Compare and contrast the technological problems addressed by
Harrison and others. The politics of science, who's in favor depends on
who's in power. Is it true today? But most of my ideas tend toward the
English paper idea. What would you suggest that I do for the physics
part? perhaps a poster project to go along with the paper? A powerpoint
presentation? Are there photographs on the Internet available from the
Maritime Museum which can be downloaded?

Please help ASAP. We are ordering the books for the students tomorrow and
I imagine the project will be set for Dec. or Jan.

Thanks in advance ( especially to those who recommended the book.)

Patti Mason
Delphi High School
Delphi, IN