Re: ??? ??? ???

At 02:28 9/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
At 6:44 PM -0600 9/6/97, Dewey Dykstra, Jr. wrote:
There is no shanty in the world too poor to possess a TV.

Yours ( not especially with tongue in cheek )

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

Brian:
I can only assume that you've never actually been in a 3rd world country.

Dewey

To echo Dewey's sentiments, I recently spent ten days in the Yucatan
peninsula of Mexico with my family. We spent a few days in a resort which
had AC and Tv with CNN, ESPN, a Mexican channel, a French channel and a
German channel. Then we went into the countryside and visited many villages
which do not have electricity!

Richard Grandy
Rice University

Strange how good we are at seeing poverty in other countries.
Just to remind you, the US rates about 17th on the international scale for
standard of living; we have beggars, people living in cardboard boxes, and
people dying in the gutter from starvation, and for want of medical
attention.
I tend to rate countries with these features as third world - or at least,
as third class. How about you?

Now let's take a little look at this claim of
"Many Mexican villages which do not have electricity..."

Did you see one village without a single car?
Have you seen those little cheap portable tvs that plug into a
cigarette lighter?

How sure are you that a village with no electricity does
not have a single tv?

Could it be you are just jumping to conclusions, in the same way
that Dewey did when he assumed I have no basis for international
comparisons?

Regards