Re: ?????????

I am not at all surprised at this. Because of the nature of
testing
and because of the enormous amount of *information* we think we must
impart
to students, we end up treating students like parrots. We have students
name the phases of the moon on a test. Who has time, or will take the
time,
to EXPLAIN or DEMONSTRATE how two spheres revolving around each other
illuminated by a third, distant sphere interact. What teacher asks a
student to EXPLAIN something on a test.
Those who promote the teaching of Science primarily through
mathematical modelling are responsible for this result. There is no time
left for physical or conceptual modelling. Only a tiny fraction of 1% of
people see any meaning in a mathematical model. Yet it is the PRIMARY
teaching method used in many science courses.

Fred Bucheit

Although mathematical modeling may be the primary method of teaching, it
well documented that it scarcely improves student understanding, nor is it
effective in replacing student preconceived misconceptions. It is true
that as the numbers of students in the classroom grows, teachers are tied
to the multiple choice formate. However, the time spent getting to the
test needs to be reformed. The method of Modeling and other related
approaches appears to be a highly effective alternative.

Tom McCarthy