Re: Floating and sinking

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997 11:38:11 -0700 Leigh Palmer said:

I have some followup questions which I will send to him, too. The Cartesian
diver example tells me that as a fish descends it becomes less bouyant.
This could lead to a runaway feedback in which the fish couldn't reinflate
its swim baldder fast enough to stay bouyant, and an explosive problem as a
fish ascends and becomes increasingly bouyant, perhaps faster than it can
reabsorb the gas from the swim bladder. I have a picture of a herring rising
like a rocket through the water.

As I understand it, this is exactly what makes a volcanoe erupt.