hardness and collision

Dear phys-l member,=20

I have been very pleased to follow the discussion about the conservation=
of energy. I would like to initiate another discussion (it would be very=
useful for my work).

I am a PhD student at Lyon University (France) and my current work =
deals
with a historical study of the "hard body", the "elastic body" and the
"soft body" concepts, mainly throughout two contests devoted to the proble=
(1668, the London Royal Society contest with Huygens, Wren and Wallis as
contenders, 1724 the Paris Acad=E9mie des Sciences contest with the
participation of Mac Laurin and Bernoulli).

I will also undertake a sketch of nowadays physicists ideas about =
the kinematic behavior of "hard", "elastic" and "soft" bodies during=
free-fall or collision experiments.

For example, I would like to know

- accurate definitions of hard, elastic and soft
bodies.
- if for physicist hard bodies are able to rebound
after a free fall.
-the link between matter's
properties (elasticity, hardness, sofness) and the conservation of the
energy.

So, I would be very grateful if you could be of some help for me.

Many thanks (and apologizes for my poor English).

Yours sincerely.

D. Isma=EBl Youssouf.