re:Flow of energy

David Bowman says:

I think we definitely *ought* to emphasize the fact that there is no such
thing as "pure energy", but I would not go so far as to mount a crusade
against against the language of energy flow.

I'm not opposed to what you suggest. I am opposed to the false concept
of "heat energy" and the corresponding "heat flow". It's the misuse of
the word "heat" I'm unhappiest about.

...Richard Feynman means when he says there are no blocks. Until that simple
concept is mastered it is difficult to approach other abstract concepts,
notably entropy, which is on exactly the same conceptual footing. Entropy
is easily conceived once energy has been conceived properly.

At the risk of opening a recently closed can of worms I would contend that
entropy is an *easier* concept to understand than energy, and both energy
and entropy are easier to understand than temperature (which depends for its
real meaning on the prior meanings of both entropy and energy).

David refers here to the statistical interpretation of entropy. I agree,
but that is equivalent to the classical entropy (which is the quantity
that gives ill-prepared physicists the greatest difficulty), and that is
the entropy to which I refer. Classical energy and entropy are quite
comparable in their conceptual structure. I'm with Clausius on this one.

Leigh