Re FLOW of energy

"The internal energy of cube A increases by 500 J and that of cube B
decreases by 500 J". There is absolutely nothing wrong with this, Jim.
But my question was not answered. I wanted to know:

Why is it bad physics to say that there is a flow of 500 J of energy,
from cube A to cube B, during the equilibrating process?

Actually, let us look at these two formulations more critically. Yours
seems to be more general, it may be a statement about a block A in
Sahara desret (when sun is rising) and block B in my home refrigirator.
The blocks are not interacting. It just happens that A gained 500 J of
energy (flowing from the sun) while B lost the same amount (flowing into
air of my kitchen). This is not the same as "internal energy flows from
A to B". You may think that I am being picky (the context in which we
describe what happens makes it clear that A and B are interacting) but
I am not. As long as the context is specified your formulation is as good
as mine, perhaps a little better.

At the end you wrote that you "have no trouble saying things like BLOCK
A DID WORK ON BLOCK B". I am still thinking about this alternative. The
law of consrvation of energy is more profound than we often think. Is the
concept of FLOW an essential part of thermodynamics or not? I do not have
an opinion. The block A in Sahara does not work on the block B in my
refrigirator, at least not directly. Sorry for being philosophical today.

Ludwik Kowalski