Re: HEAT1=HEAT2 ?

On 28 Aug 1997 Van E. Neie <ven@PHYSICS.PURDUE.EDU> wrote:

This discussion regarding the use of the term "heat" has become "heated,"
to say the least! It really is amazing how such a vast number of
supposedly well-educated physicists ... can't seem to get it right!
And since it has been stated earler in this discussion that NO textbook
authors ever (rarely?) get it right, we can only conclude that textbooks
are written (and proofread) by the less knowledgable of the lot of
physicists. I'd say this is serious!

This comment calls for a less sorcastic question. How come that teachers
who specialize in identifying misconceptions failed to point out that the
name heat, as defined in thermodynamics (a process impelled by a difference
in temperatures), is not consistent with the way in which students and
teachers use it in elementary physics? We are not dealing with a scientific
issue here, we are dealing with pedagogy (and terminology). Scientists have
no difficulties with reading the meaning from a context.
Ludwik Kowalski