Nomenclature

This discussion regarding the use of the term "heat" has become "heated,"
to say the least! It really is amazing how such a vast number of
supposedly well-educated physicists, including people like Zemansky, just
can't seem to get it right! And since it has been stated earler in this
discussion that NO textbook authors ever (rarely?) get it right, we can
only conclude that textbooks are written (and proofread) by the less
knowledgable of the lot of physicists. I'd say this is serious!

While we're on the subject of incorrect usage (I see the old mass-weight
controversy is getting top billing again!), how many of you, including text
authors, talk about a fluid exerting a pressure? I always thought
pressure was a ratio of two numbers--not something that is exerted! A
fluid exerts a FORCE on its surroundings. Pressure is simply a statement
of how that force is distributed over a unit of area. As far as I can
tell, I don't experience any pressure on me at the bottom of a swimming
pool. but I sure as heck notice the FORCE!!

Just thought I'd muddy the waters a bit more.

Peace.

Van E. Neie
Purdue University
(where the pressures we experience are not fluid in nature)
--apologies to Herb Gottlieb!

Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu
Dept of Physics PH: (765) 494-5511
Purdue University FAX: (765) 494-0706
1396 PHYS Bldg
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1396

"[Those] who have an excessive faith in their theories or in their ideas
are not only poorly disposed to make discoveries, but they also make very
poor observations."

---Claude Bernard 1865