Re:

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997 23:21:56 -0600 Jim Green <JMGreen@Sisna.com> writes:

Oops -- I'm sorry -- those irreverent comments about engineers and my
grandiose opinion of myself were meant to be in jest and were to be
sent via
private e-mail. Please erase my comments from galactic history. I am
clearly not smart enough to use Eudora.

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

A colleague at Clarkson had a sign on his wall that said, "Will Rogers
never met a chemical engineer." I doubt whether anyone will take
good-natured fun at the expense of engineers as anything but humor.
Nevertheless, Truesdell's objections to classical thermostatics and his
praise of rational thermophysics are supported by compelling arguments.
I wonder, though, how many physicists have been faced with the sorts of
problems that hack cookbook engineers face routinely and may not linger
over.

The separate puzzle concerning how shaky most of us are at zeroth-degree
classical thermostatics reminds me of the plain fact that no one can
build a Stradavarius violin, nor approach one - unless recent events have
changed all that. I do not believe any participant in our discussion
has kept his mouth 100% foot-free, however wonderful his accomplishments
and genius.

My wife presented me with John M's and his colleague's paper on work
tonight. I now retire with that and Dave Bowman's Disquisition on
Entropy. I doubt that I have another 100 pages left in me (after
rescuing a fair maiden (not my wife) in distress).
My wife was part of the rescue team.

Goodnight / Tom