Re: STELLA

I've been asked to go to a talk on a software called
STELLA. I think it's like Eureka, Derive and stuff like
that. i would like to hear any comments on STELLA from
any of you who know it:

STELLA is system dynamics modeling software. With it, the user can set
up a computer model of a complex, time-dependent system. A major feature
is that the user builds the algorithm using a graphical interface of
stocks (reserviors) and flows.

I use it in two contexts. One, I use it in my physics classes as follows
-- Students build models, such as a projectile motion model, that keeps
track of horizontal and vertical velocity, position, acceleration, etc.,
with air resistance. They also model the quantities (over time) of the
parent and daughter nuclides in decay series. The other context is an
interdisciplinary system dynamics course. Here the students choose a
broader range of systems to model such as (1) the long term effects on
education of a property tax cut-and-cap measure that passed recently in
our state and (2) the behavior of our combined sewage/rainwater system
during periods of light and heavy rainfall. The goal of the system
dynamics class is to have students become system thinkers while applying
their science, math, and social science.

You can learn more about the use of STELLA in HS classes at the CC-STADUS
home page (do a search for CC-STADUS, I don't have the address handy). I
strongly recommend that you invest the time to learn more about this
software.

DAve

David J. Hamilton, Ed.D. "And gladly wolde he lerne,
Franklin HS, Portland, OR and gladly teche."
djhamil@teleport.com Geoffrey Chaucer