Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

A heavy cylinder is
filled with a mixture of gasoline and air sealed and insulated. In
the
side is a spark plug to which we can apply a spark whose energy
contribution may be considered negligible. The temperature goes up
when
the plug sparks; the pressure increases; but no heat is transfered,

Not even from the vapors to the container?

No work is done,

Might not the cylinder wall be stretched?

and there is no change in internal energy. In order to
understand how this can be we have to include all of the energy in the

internal energy.

W. Barlow Newbolt

Clarence
Oakland University