Re:

William Beaty wrote
[MAJOR snip]

So, rather than using a 100KM copper rod, I use a pair of parallel 100KM
copper rods, with the ends joined at both distant end locations. I want
to push the electron sea, so I stick a motor at one end of the rods, and a
generator at the other. Now, if I suddenly start cranking the motor, I
push electrons into one rod and suck them from the other. A wave of
"work", of compression and motion, starts at my end, travels along the
rods, and ends up at the far end, where it moves the generator. Does the
wave of "work" move at the speed of light? I don't know. Electrons have
nonzero mass, so I would think that it moves a bit slower than c.
Regardless, I'd better make my rods a million KM long, so that it takes a
few seconds for my "work" done on the generator shaft to appear on the
distant motor shaft.

The electrons themselves will move surprisingly slowly. A few mm/s for
several amps in common lab sized wires! But the electromagnetic
disturbance will move at a speed comparable to that of light. The
specific responce time will depend on the inductance and capacitance of
the 'loop'.
In this case the wave of 'work' is probably sometime refered to as a
'voltage' pulse. (I might be tempted to define voltage as Work/charge but
somebody might take umbrage.)