Re: The Wages of Sin is Death?

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997 10:49:43 brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net> writes:
At 10:55 7/29/97 EDT, you wrote:

Since I have so much trouble with probability, I decided to solve
big problem a couple of years ago. I computed an algorithm to
estimate
the expected value of a Texas State Lottery Ticket. Of course, it
never
is worth a buck. But, amusingly, without leaving my apartment I
discovered two or three ways in which the State cheats. So, you can
find
out things by doing math! ...
Regards to all and especially to the players / Tom

It was a while ago.
I went to work as a system designer of a distributed network
of ticket selling machines - concerts, theater-seats, all that stuff.

It happened that the engineering outfit's main line was state
lotteries
(Syntech International).

Texas, as an anti-gambling state, properly chose to run that company
out of
Dallas, and out of state. Oh, they left us innocuous ticket-sellers
in-place - but the Devil's Cohorts got their marching orders.

I recall the boss's advice quite clearly - as the state takes about
50%,
always head for Reno - there is no racket that takes a larger cut.

That was then, and this is now.
Texas sells lottery tickets from every outlet.
Southland decided that 7-11 stores could manage quite well without
automated ticket sales, so that system went down the tubes.

And Texans benefit by better educational grants - perhaps.

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

OK, I'll talk; I'll sing; I'll spill the beans.

1) They don't pay to the next winner the time value of the money on the
rolled-over money.
2) They tamper with the (published) expected prize value systematically
to improve the looks of the bet, although I wonder who notices. Perhaps
pros.
3) Perhaps something else. I would have to read the eight pages. In
any case, the lottery is a nasty business.

Yes, I write papers and leave them in a box for five or ten years until
the topic is no longer relevant. But, I don't have to publish or
perish. I publish two or three papers a year in itty-bitty presses. I
have a mess of stuff on the Internet - not about physics. You can search
under Wayburn, but not Thomas Wayburn. You'll get every Thomas who ever
was.
But, if you do look at what I write, you should indemnify me from hatred
and / or harassment just because you don't agree. Damn it, I want
immunity.