Re: The "two child problem"

From: Maurice Barnhill <mvb@UDel.Edu>

I am completely satisfied with this conclusion. However, that does not
mean that I have a completely satisfactory *intuitive* explanation of
the result.

Let's see an extreme case that it can clarify the situation. We
consider a classroom in the one which there are 30 pupils and we
suppose that there are 15 boys and 15 girls. If at random we chose
10 pupils and turn out to be boys, now in the class remain 5 boys
and 15 girls. At this time, upon choosing a pupil at random it more
probable is that will be a girl.

In the case of the problem that occupies us we have the same
situation since we suppose that the possibility SS, SD, DS, DD
have the same probability
Ricardo de los Santos Villodres
I.E.S. Alminares
Departamento de Matem=E1ticas