Re: The "two child problem"

There are four possible cases for two children (oldest listed first):
1. SS
2. SD
3. DS

In the case of the woman we have less information, and the information
is exhausted by saying that we have case 1, 2, or 3. In the absence of
further information any of the three cases is equally likely, and since
two of the cases involve an additional son and one doesn't,

But also, two of the cases include a daughter, and one doesn't.

I think I'm back to even, and the herring was red.

(Except for Martha's entirely separate consideration)

Clarence
Oakland University
Rochester, Michigan
http://www3.acs.oakland.edu/physics/staff_info/Bennett.htm