Re: The "two child problem"

At 08:37 7/28/97 -0800, you wrote:
I am going to out myself and confess that I look forward each week to
the arrival (in the Sunday paper) of "Parade" magazine and of the
"Ask Marilyn" column that it contains. Yesterday's column was the
type of gem that keeps me hanging in there through months of
otherwise uninterrupted silly nonsense.

Marilyn had previously dealt with the following problem: A man and a
woman each have two children. The man's older child is a son and at
least one of the woman's children is a son. Is either more likely
than the other to have two sons?

Marilyn's answer was not very popular. ...
A. John Mallinckrodt

I conclude that the woman was somewhat more
likely to have two sons.

I will withold the logic for a while for other folk to play with it.
Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK