Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

At 11:22 7/24/97 -0800, John M wrote quite an essay, of which I quote
a puzzling trifle below:

Finally, during the process [of workless expansion of a gas ]
the molecules have also on average
receded from each other against an attractive intermolecular force.
Thus, a negative "internal work" (or "relative internal work") has
been done increasing Pi and, necessarily, decreasing Ki.
(Is anyone still here?)

John

I want to read this as 'molecules recede from each other impelled by
a repulsive intermolecular force [called electric repulsion]...
....thus a positive "internal work" contribution has been done raising
Pi from its earlier more negative value'.

So would John or anyone else explain why molecules of gas are mutually
attracted and thereby set me straight?

Thanks
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK