Re: New Physics Lab

Eric Koegler writes:
I have the pleasure of setting up a brand new physics lab at a new
high school. What equipment does a good physics lab need, and
how much that might cost. I will have roughly 25 students per class,
three 55 minute classes per day, algebra based, senior level, AP
Physics.

I suggest that you send a copy of this E-mail to Vernier, Pasco,Cenco,
Fisher EMD,
and Sargent Welch for their suggestions. If you are stocking a new lab,
they
will all be very helpful and will even offer you a substantial discount
below their
listed catalog prices.

In any case, I would suggest ordering about $10,000 worth of basic
apparatus
and supplies to start and reserve an extra $20,000 for additional items
in six months to
two years as your needs become more clear.

For the advanced placement class, you should start by selecting all the
specific lab
exercises and experiments that you would like to conduct during the first
year.
Several publishers will be happy to send you examination copies of their
introductory
college lab books without charge now. Plan on setting up four or five
different labs
at the same time and have the student groups rotate these labs until all
are completed
during the first month or so. Then set up an additional group of lab
exercises for
them to rotate among. It is also a good idea to reserve a large number
of lab
exercises that start in the middle of May, after the AP national exams
are over.

If you need any additional help or suggestions, feel free to contact me
by E-mail
(herbgottlieb@juno.com) or my home phone (718 224 4791).

Herb Gottlieb