Re: flash in throw-a-way camera

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997 10:47:58 -0500 (EST) 00j0watson@bsuvc.bsu.edu writes:
I'm teaching a methods workshop and a teacher heard that someone
made the strobe of a throw-a-way camera into a strobe light. Was this
published or anyone have ideas on what simple material is needed?

You don't make a strobe out of a camera. Many of the "throw away" cameras
includes a strobe and a AA dry cell. You can have these cameras for the
asking
at the one-hour photo developer stores. Take the camera apart and save
the
plastic lens, the strobe, and the battery. But be CAREFUL!! If you try
to operate
the strobe while touching any of the metal parts, you can get a real
charge
from the energy stored in the capacitor when the strobe is charged.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we have already experienced these shocks and don't relish them)