Re: Calif. Physics Certification (YUK)

CSU. In response to recent State mandates, in order to receive subject matter
certification (the responsibility of the Physics Department) we are now
requiring at least a BA in physics plus 3 semesters of chemistry (including

There is very weak student demand for HS Physics in this area. Principals
who would hire "Physics Certified" faculty are faced with having penalties with
such faulty teaching "out of field" most of the day. It is hard
to find certified Physics people & there is weak demand for these people.

The recent article on the subject in "The Physics Teacher" (last month?)
indicated that taking HS Physics made little difference in college level
performance in introductory Physics compared to those who had not had Physics
(in HS). The experience and training of the HS teacher did not appear to
have much impact (if I remember correctly).

Tim

Physics Truck Driver
Timothy C. Burgess
Science in Motion