Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

Well, I think I was wise to avoid getting involved in this one! Ludwik, you
have a talent for asking questions that can really stir up the hornet's
nests. Keep up the good work!

I would like to make my one and only contribution to this thread by quoting
from one of my favorite physics texts, Lew Epstein's "Thinking Physics"
(San Francisco: Insight press, 1981 and subsequent - it is still in print
and available at Walden Books, and other chains, as well as college
bookstores). In connection with a neat question about the gravitational
attraction of bubbles, he makes the following comment which is highly
apropro of this thread:

"In physics you are always close to the deep water. Take two steps off the
beaten path and you may be into it. And it's not make believe."

Amen!

Hugh Haskell

<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.