Re: Physics education via the internet?

Hugh Haskell asked:

But what does the issue of simulation have to do with the internet, which
is what this thread was all about in the first place? Can we access any of
NASA's simulators that way? Are their simulators resident on the internet
that cannot be downloaded to local computers?

Richard Bowman replied (in part):

With the use of Java and JavaScript, we can finally work at truly
interactive simulations on the Internet. By the very nature of the
Internet, this means that the simulations I write as web pages will run
equally well on a PC with Windows 95, on a Mac or on a Unix box as long as
they have a JavaScript interpreter which is built into MS Internet
Explorer and Netscape Navigator.

That certainly answers my question. Since I have not gotten into webbing, I
was pretty much unaware of some of its potential. Now the question is, can
these simulations run fast enough over the internet to give the students
any kind of feel for the dynamics? I know I spend a whole lot of dead time
staring at the Netscape screen, waiting for something to happen. Can we
avoid this in Java driven simulations?

Hugh

Hugh Haskell

<mailto://hhaskell@mindspring.com>

The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better." So I bought a Macintosh.