Re: Physics education via the internet?

So many of the things that computers are used for in the science
classroom (as opposed to data collection within the laboratory) are
designed to simulate or illustrate. This is, I feel, on of the
difficulties facing today's students they may be information rich, but
they are experience poor. While Interactive Physics may allow you to
repeat a thousand different trials varying all parameters and noting the
outcome - how many of your students haven't a clue as to how to string a
pulley system in the first place. Maybe I am a dinosaur and in the
modern world people won't need to know how to manipulate real materials,
but (other than e-mail or some forms of research) I see this push to
"net-alize" physics as just increasing this experience vs. exposure gap.

Greg Kifer