Re: Gore's Ball

On Wed, 16 Jul 1997 herbgottlieb@juno.com wrote:

I've never heard of Gore's ball. However there is a device which suspends
five metal balls from strings. They are allowed to collide to illustrate
conservation of momentum and energy. My stgudents always referred to
this apparatus as NEWTON'S BALLS.

Herb,
I think he is refering to a variation on a "rail gun" that uses
the magnetic fields produced by a flowing current to cause an object to
move. We do this with a Pasco magnet, 2 brass rods and a slider that
slides down the rods when current from a battery flows through it.
--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059