Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

I can not resist showing you, Leigh, that you too can be inconsistent.
I am reading everything you wrote again and here what I see.

Sunday morning:

Let us examine the therm "thermal energy". This term is not in my
dictionary, nor should it be in that of any physics teacher. It is
a source of confusion .... and a barrier to conceptual grasp.

Monday afternoon: your formulation of the first law:

The change in thermal energy of a system is a sum of the heat that
flows into it and that part of the work that is done on it that does
not appear as a change in the kinetic energy of the center of mass
of the system.

Nobody is perfect, right? Perhaps you would not mind commenting on the
"how slow is slow enough" question formulated below.

It occured to me, while thinking about our subject, that the "accepted"
thermodynamic definition of heat also has some built-in ambiguities. By
saying "heat is that part of internal energy which is impelled (transfered)
from A to B because T(A) is larger that T(B)" we are implying that T(A)
and T(B) are defined during the process. This is not necessarily true for
"fast" processes, for example when A is a brick-like block of Cu at 400 K
while B is a similar block at 600 K. Put A on top of B and you have a non-
equilibated system. The final temperature, under ideal conditions, will
be 500 K but the intermediate temperatures have no meaning. I wander "how
slow" is slow enough to make intermediate temperatures meaninful?

Ludwik Kowalski