Re: Physics education via the internet?

My biggest unresolved issue with the use of computers and the internet
is how to integrate it into my coursework. And, for the most part, I
have been unable to come up with anything that makes me feel as if I
were doing more than just adding bells and whistles to my classes.

Sure, I use MBL - we just bought a class set of PASCO equipment and I
use simulations and demonstrations and Graphical Analysis and
spreadsheets, etc. My kids use the Internet for literature research and
occassionally PHYS-L and PHYSHARE to get answers to questions that stump
me.

But, in the deep dark recesses of my heart I suspect that what is needed
is to throw out everything I have done and create a new way of teaching
using technology. I have no idea what that would look like but I suspect
that trying to INSERT technology into the traditional
lecture/demonstration/laboratory/problem solving/homework way of
teaching is like putting new wine in old winesacks.

I'm beginning to think that Constructivism may be the way into this new
approach.

Ray Rogoway
Independence High School
San Jose, CA (where it cools down to 65 degrees every evening even after
95 degree days)