Re: what is understanding?

I digress to tell a pertinent story. Prof. Gans, my first wife's
chemistry professor, asked, "Why is glass transparent?" Well, you
relate the myth of absorption and re-emission of photons, etc. But he
comes back with, "Why does that happen?" Perhaps, you can give a
deeper explanation, Dave. But, it's all on the surface - even if you
describe how the quarks do their thing. You still haven't explained why
glass is transparent. And, the transparency of glass is ONLY A
PHENOMENON. The noumenon is unknowable! Prof. Gans concludes,
"Magic". Science can only put things "in other words".

And that is why I call Physics a succession of lies, each of which makes us
more comfortable. I'm not trying to insult my profession, just get a grip
on "reality" (the quotes are for Jack Urestsky-smile, Jack) Karl

Dr. Karl I. Trappe Desk Phone: (512) 471-4152
Physics Dept, Mail Stop C-1600 Demo Office: (512) 471-5411
The University of Texas at Austin Home Phone: (512) 264-1616
Austin, Texas 78712-1081