Re: what is understanding?

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:13:00 -0700 Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca> writes:
Earlier I conjected:

I think understanding of physics is never attained.

Unfortunately I now think I erred, committing implicitly the grievous
error of reification against which I have railed so fervently in the
past. That *is* what I said; what I *should* have said (and what I
admit I meant) is this:

"I think an understanding of Nature is never attained."

My arrogant equation of our knowledge of Nature, which we call
"physics", with the object of our interest, Nature herself, is
deplorable. It is an error I try hard not to make, but I certainly
made it here. In this case the error is compounded by the fact that
physics, *per se*, is not unfathomable. It has a finite depth. It is
mathematically isomorphic to Nature, often to a degree that makes it
only falsifiable in principle, but it admits only of a limited depth
of understanding. Physics is our way of understanding Nature. We are
limited to describing her, and we should never forget that. In this
description, however, lies the great reward we call understanding.
It is our privilege as physicists to perceive more acutely than most
her underlying beauty.

I believe Leigh has gone astray here. It is impossible to perceive
Nature. We are aware of the phenomena spawned by Nature at best. We
can never understand "the thing in itself".

I digress to tell a pertinent story. Prof. Gans, my first wife's
chemistry professor, asked, "Why is glass transparent?" Well, you
relate the myth of absorption and re-emission of photons, etc. But he
comes back with, "Why does that happen?" Perhaps, you can give a
deeper explanation, Dave. But, it's all on the surface - even if you
describe how the quarks do their thing. You still haven't explained why
glass is transparent. And, the transparency of glass is ONLY A
PHENOMENON. The noumenon is unknowable! Prof. Gans concludes,
"Magic". Science can only put things "in other words".

Regards to all / Tom

P.S. I am working very hard on my mathematical description of
understanding. I will provide three alternative settings.