Re: Pinhole Camera/ Sticky definitions

Leigh,

I appreciated you coming out early and having someone make an
attempt at pinning down ideas that we all use while assuming an intrinsic
definition.

Ditto.

(The difficulty with definitions is clearly illustrated by
biologist attempt to define a species as a group of lifeforms the can
(and do) interbreed. One hole in this definiton is that if there are
a thousand males and no females left, the species does not exist.) I
look forward to your article.

Another hole in this definition is that it prevents asexually reproducing
organisms from belonging to a species. This leaves out a lot of lifeforms.

It seems that coming up with a suitable definition of image may be as frought
with difficulties as coming up with a suitable definition of species.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us