Re: induced emf and eddy currents

On Tue, 17 Jun 1997, Carl E. Mungan wrote:

(1) How can there still be an emf in the loop if it's not closed?
Theoretically, I don't know how to calculate the flux and use Faraday's Law
in its integral form because there is no closed loop. It doesn't even make
sense to me: what if I made two cuts in the loop - would I still get an
emf? How about if I made a really big cut? Experimentally it doesn't make
sense either - I would make different measurements with a voltmeter
depending on how I connected the leads to the loop (eg. if they snaked
around backwards around the outside of the loop), so how can one speak of a
definite emf as though it were a battery?

The direct answer to your question is that there *cannot* be an
emf "in", "around", "through", (or any other inappropriate
preposition) a nonclosed loop. An emf is, by definition, the
integral of the tangential component of the electric field around
a *closed* (but not necessarily physical) loop. On the other
hand, if the gap (or gaps) in a physical loop is (are) small, one
might be at least partially forgiven for implicitly completing a
loop with the shortest path(s) across the gap(s). And of course,
you are right that your voltmeter will read different values
depending on the configuration of its leads. (See "What do
'voltmeters' measure?: Faraday's law in a multiply connected
region," Robert H. Romer, Am. J. Phys., Vol. 50, No. 12, December
1982, pages 1089-1093 for a nice discussion of precisely this
problem.)

(2) A different issue. Let's suppose the loop is made of real wire and
hence is actually three-dimensional. I can then draw closed loops all over
the inside of the wire. So won't there be gazillions of eddy currents on
all length scales inside the wire? Won't each individual valence electron
be driven every which way at once? Exactly what will happen? I can't
visualize it. Will the internal currents cancel, leaving net currents
flowing like a skin near the surfaces of the wire? I don't recall having
heard of that, so I think there's something basically wrong with my
reasoning here.

The electrons are always driven by the *local* electric field.
The electric field is determined not only by the spatial
configuration of the time changing magnetic flux, but also by the
spatial configuration of static charges.

Imagine a situation in which there are conductors but, initially,
no static charges anywhere and no time dependent magnetic fields
(and, thus, no local electric fields or currents.) Now start
changing the magnetic field. This will produce an unambiguous
electric field at every point in space (which may, however, be
difficult to determine unless there is sufficient symmetry.) The
electric field will begin to move the electrons and, because their
motion is likely not to be divergence free, static charges will
begin to appear. If the magnetic field changes *steadily* a
dynamic equilibrium will be reached very quickly. This is why we
almost instantaneously get continuous currents around *any* closed
conducting loop regardless of whether or not it is placed
"symmetrically" in a region of changing magnetic flux.

(3) A more basic issue. What exactly is an "emf"? Given that, "The
(nonconservative) electric fields produced by induction cannot be described
by an electric potential" (bottom of p. 791), what is emf, if not a
potential?

I don't know how to answer this other than to reiterate the
definition of an emf. Because emf's are not fields--they are
integrals around closed paths *not* functions of spatial position--
they certainly cannot be potentials.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223