Re: power line insulators

I've looked at many sources but can't seem to find an answer to
this: Why are the ceramic standoff insulators on the high voltage power
lines shaped the way they are? I looked up the resistivities which are on
the order of 10^10 ohms, so I don't think the leakage currents are that
high that the "fins" on these things are needed for cooling. Any clues?

Mike Monce
Connecticut College

For these insulators the surface leakage resistance is an important factor.
The "fins" increase the surface leakage paths by a considerable factor
over what it would be with a simple cylinder or cone shape. This is of some
importance because these insulators are out in all kinds of weather (rain,
snow) and accumulate stuff (dirt, etc.) on their surfaces.

Best regards.