Re: Calculus books...

Dwight, surprising as it may seem, the Schaum Outline of Calculus is a
quick and easy way of getting it all back. It has lots of worked
problems and then a bunch of problems for the "student" to work.
Actually loads of problems. I boned up on calculus using the Schaum
Outline before attending Courant Institute after being out of school for
ten years. Actually I started with trigonometry, college algebra, then
used the Schaum Outlines on calculus, differential equations, set
theory, mechanical vibrations, analytical geometry, and complex
variables. I had a private tutor in topology and real analysis. The
Schaum Outlines are still on the shelf next to me as I write and I am
looking over the calculus outline now. It has 1175 solved problems.
I got a chance to thank the author of the set theory book in person not
long after I began my daring graduate education at NYU. I must have
been the dumbest kid in my class when I started, but it all worked out
in the long run. Of course, it was a struggle. I used to tell myself
that I was a dumb guy who worked harder than anyone. That attitude
served me well.

Regards / Tom

P.S. Of course, if you wanted to go first class, you could try Courant's
famous calculus book or even Whitaker and Watson, which is probably
overkill. Also, among the more difficult books are Carrier, Crook, and
Pearson (sp?) and Fritz John. I've never looked at Tom Apostel's book,
but many recommend it. Finally, if you must know everything, read the
series by Dieudonne. I would try the Schaum Outline if I were you.
(Gee whiz, I hope it is still readily available. Let me know if you
have trouble getting it. It was really cheap in 1964.)