Interactive Physics and Lagrange points

--Boundary_[ID_PmAUZy9fiJA/JqvyKRJ9jA]

As an example of why I personally find Interactive Physics so useful,
allow me to share my experience of the last two or three days:

A few days ago Alex Burr posted a short note about his IP site. One of
the items there is a simple simulation of the L4 or L5 Lagrange point.
Although I had previously put together what I thought was a pretty nice
Lagrange point simulation using "Gravitation, Ltd.," I had not thought to
do so with IP. Alex's demo inspired me to create a more fully featured
simulation that allows the user to adjust the mass ratio of the primary
bodies and their orbital eccentricity as well as to perturb the orbital
velocity of a particle placed at the Lagrange point and then to observe
the motion from either a fixed or corotating frame. The results surprised
me for they suggest that the stability of the point (which attains for
mass ratios larger than about 25) is substantial for mass ratios like that
of the Jupiter-Sun system. While I knew about the Trojan asteroids, I had
always assumed that they were highly concentrated near the Lagrange
points, and perhaps they are. However, the simulation shows that, for the
parameters of the Jupiter-Sun system (mass ratio ~1000, eccentricity
~.05), a particle will stably orbit in a region that extends over a
remarkably large distance from the Lagrange point. I have attached a
thumbnail gif that shows the extent of one such orbit relative to the Sun
and Jupiter in the corotating frame.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223

--Boundary_[ID_PmAUZy9fiJA/JqvyKRJ9jA]

R0lGODlhoQCIAPAAAP///wAAACwAAAAAoQCIAAAC/4SPqZvBD6OctNqLs968
++854EiW5omm6mqJ7AvHjCvX9o3n+s73K+0LCofE4gEoETmWxiaL+VDODEgn
sUoFYKVSrfeLgGKtOpo4S3GpwYsx+Yn2Qo90OTOwjazfsHnj/7eEF6dglsaX
giRYdWeIp6i1N2GIOLLmFskmh8YFeDdZaVmXNfj4GLYpucmpSQiBGdr2JfYJ
yZiZOef3CToam9Y5S0eJetQFi2pLCvibvHo8e8YLBN06HGVNpRoavKx5ic3c
lZR6sY14BsaldExdyKrR6Uc4biW4XPusrj74Lp8daJozZnyq3Sqma5VCa8gQ
LiQGqQm0PAPdpNN2z5seYf/FcGFqKGPPxXAK+9Xzde3QxkBvJH08iEscm3Eg
2Z2aYtEVDjUCdcqCGeliP47kQHo7yaPaKKAlS6HsmGveT40kHz6NwS7OUD0R
dTptg7RXQ6lXawyF+bHOzayv1B4KW7QkwERy3baQJQwt2ZU32+ZzZZSDyG+E
J5USmtcY1VeBU9rp2NhcLo6KiIVb55jfUoBmtuIkmvmFKqTdyBFupFito6Pw
2l6b9xdFO1buHiv7xxBq6EJwdfuKHMLjVUoT9yV2xutdGNx7h/+GB1yySa+Z
Zx9G7pDhVmk+lbtmSXd7h3z1umZXhhCWZ7v6fIMYbWpMI8vBKWsFnXbKxuim
jVX/1nYfSvzx1dpu7vmU0wnlTTcdbXj1QZJ8VW02lygxzcReEGTJlwcyvdkj
BFveVSBehc3I1lxhvKl3YlkQGueWeVWN1KINtR04Vo0Dvrfca/SYaNyONY53
4IMREkSGkCQIdcoid7k4pI26RXZOQU6chU9gxEWZFG8bfAjilZQpqSSXCn4J
mJVJDpRBmWaWkCKJ/qj5S3TrvdnlYk92Z4SbcCC50oh49lBloHWiA5qcGA46
RKGM+ikalFM1ACmjaCbXy6GWCirpplgJp1IzlZoF5UmjehqPpGCueeJa+m1x
KqqCLcRnJbFC2NVet8qa6jMs0tniQbvyamGtRrJKbLJr/w67A7N9KtuorM4W
MS20b21arQpaWkttti+amSO31HLWKrbHijsueJo+ehy6wGZ6hbtsyvust70q
Gye9zQIZJrv26gvKvz9EmS/AO/ELrq0IG/ypwCGO6zDDk0pcZKQRUzwvxmAF
tfBdF9c5WMfYfFwuPnrKSbKOTwFXsMYzsFXcfi7XR81qc4Lc17Mz8bRZym1y
4jNUPZVDcFQif0r0Pi23ZNvRFiv3ldMPN3myDzwhJrVEQS19w20F6pjRnV02
iKWIXJrEtbanaVXam4s4rGuPMGat9b8FRw0z3RKnDZlSM8clWE9i/21g4EAH
vewTGREOKOMh6U0k4oRC7vjPkhVTHizmlUu7eef6Xu556AOLTvoGBQAAOwAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAA

--Boundary_[ID_PmAUZy9fiJA/JqvyKRJ9jA]--