Re: Entropy, Objectivity, and Timescales

Leigh, perhaps it would clear the waters somewhat if you could describe how
to measure/calculate/estimate this time period for some simple system. In
principle, of course; we don't need to actually do it.

In order to contribute more substance, maybe I should make a stab at it.
Take the initial quantum state, and propagate it with the Schrodinger
eq. until there is a non-zero probability of finding the system in each
state considered to be accessible. Does that work for everyone?

That sort of works, but the relaxation time would be somewhat longer
than that, as I'm sure you are aware. Your simplification is welcome,
however. The time is macroscopically given by the time required for
the system to relax to equilibrium, of course.

My heartfelt thanks!

Leigh