Re: what good is "percentage error"?

At 09:36 PM 5/12/97 EST5EDT4,M4.1., Lanzafame, Frank wrote:

I find that the source of the students reliance seems to be the
chemistry courses here. They are taught to calculate this every time, and
to my horror, are graded on their "percent error"; i.e. 1%=A, 2%=B, etc.
Mike Monce
Connecticut College

I'm not certain of the origin of your "horror", but the grade is designed to
reflect the accuracy with which the analysis is performed in a course which is
designed to teach quantitative methods.
:-) Frank M. Lanzafame

A facet of the distaste for such measures is the word 'error' apparently.
Though this word figures in the general run of books of experimental statistics,
such as

Data Reduction & Error Analysis For The Physical Sciences,
Bevington, McGraw-Hill
The Statistical Analysis of Experimental data
Mandel, Dover
Experiments in Physical Chemistry
Wilson, Newcombe, Denaro, Rickett Pergamon

-it apparently is a taboo word?

Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK