Re: Explaining QM to the layperson

Brian J. Oliver wrote:

I am in need of some advice regarding the best way to explain certain =
quantum mechanical concepts to the layperson. In particular, I have =
been trying to get across to students in a class made up primarily of =
liberal arts majors, the nature of quantum mechanical superposition =
states. First I provided them with a historical overview of the =
developement of the field. My goal was to convey to them some of the =
more "bizarre" quantum mechanical phenomena, i.e. Schrodingers Cat =
Paradox, EPR and correlations via entagled states, double slit =
diffraction,....

You may try with Feynman's description of the two slit experiment in his
Lectures.Vol III. Which slit pass the electron through? In actual experiments
what one meets are interference patterns and/or peaks, which may be understood
as an outcome of this "duality": eigenstate or superposition state.(neutron
difraction, X-ray...).
I think that the slit experiment will be accepted easier than Schroedinger's
cat paradoox.
Also Gamov's stories on Mr.Tompkins wolrd are quite nice.

Regards, M.A.Santos