Re: Strange clouds...

I'm guessing from your description that you were seeing lenticular clouds.
These lens shaped clouds form in the crest of an atmospheric wave. People
often see lenticular clouds and mistake them for an alien space craft--UFO's.

Roger

I'm sorry if this does not belong here, but I don't belong to a
meteorology list-serv. A couple of weeks back, I was up in Akron, OH
when I noticed something strange in the skies. I finally realized that
the clouds were highly unusual. They were almost perfectly round, flat
and smooth on the bottom, and smooth and dome shaped on top. They were
all of over the sky and looked like some of the old book covers of where
earth is being invaded by UFOs or toad-stool mushrooms without their
stems.
Do these cloud formations have names? Are they fairly common?
What accounts for their strange formation?

Roger A. Pruitt, PhD
Professor of Physics
Fort Hays State University
Hays, KS 67601