Re: How many joules --> e.m. waves?

At 11:31 AM 4/23/97 EDT, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:
Three questions:
On 22 Apr 1997 Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Your "rig" is putting out a broad band signal; I don't expect much of a
tuning effect over a broad range of the receiver "dial"!

We have a well defined LC circuit with low R. Thus the frequency band of
the oscillating current is very narrow. Why would the e.m. wave emitted by
the wire loop have "a broad band"?
Ludwik Kowalski

An easy way to visualise this effect of signal shape on bandwidth
is to start with a very narrow pulse ( A 'Dirac' function even...)
It is not difficult to understand that a wide band of frequencies
is emitted.
Then if this pulse is broadened to one cycle of a given frequency
the emitted bandwidth is reduced.
If we proceed to a train of 10 cycles, the bandwidth decreases
again, until at a continuous sine wave, the bandwidth narrows to a
'line' emission.

regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK