Re: How many joules --> e.m. waves?

LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:
. . .
I just realized that there are two kinds of resonance in this problem,
one for the oscillations of charge between C and L and one for the antenna
itself. The first kind depends only on L*C; it determines lambda=c/f, where
c is the speed of light. The second (standing waves) depends on (d/lambda).
. . . Ludwig

Along with some other posters, I too was a "Ham" operator (W3NLV)in my
youth.
Let me add that the usual transmitter ended in an LC circuit which was
synchronously
pulsed into oscillation by a class C tube (later, transistor)
amplifier. The antenna
was a "separate" circuit, most often an electric (as opposed to a
magnetic) dipole
cut to a resonant length (although many, many variations are used). The
antenna
was often coupled to the LC "tank" circuit by making the inductance L
the
primary of an air core transformer and feeding the antenna through a
transmission
line connected to a secondary winding.

Here one must consider the resonant properties and the coupling of three
sub-systems:
the LC tank circuit, the transmission line, and the antenna.
(The whole thing is of course fed by an oscillator driving the class C
amlifier
at the LC resonant frequency.)

Ludwig (and Heinrich Hertz) is putting all of this into a one-shot
charged
capacitor and loop of wire! We often learn more from the simpler
embodiments
of physical principles!

--
Bob Sciamanda sciamanda@edinboro.edu