Interfering with the universe

From: Paul Camp
To: phys-l
Subject: Re: Temp of Universe (was Definitions of Temperature)
Date: Monday, April 14, 1997 12:40PM

The background photons do not
interact significantly with matter since most of the matter has no
charge. Further, the entropy of the universe (which is mostly the
entropy of the background radiation) is ridiculously large -- in
energy units of GeV, the entropy per comoving volume is of order
10^87. It would be tough to change that significantly.

In 1984, our PR dept. rewrote our College's mission statement to include
this sentence:
"The College holds that every individual exists to serve God and humanity
and to preserve the universe." After falling about laughing, the Science
Division passed a resolution that someone was obviously suffering from
delusions of godhood, and managed eventually to get it removed. It survived
for at least two catalogs, however.

Margaret Clarke,
The College of St. Scholastica, Duluth.