Re: comet tails and wind

Ken: There are two kinds of comet tails, a dust tail and a gas or plasma
tail. The former is affected by radiation pressure of sunlight and has a
somewhat curved appearance. The plasma tail is affected by the solar wind
and is much less curved. The solar wind is itself a plasma of positive ions
(mainly protons) and electrons and causes the plasma tail (via the magnetic
field that the solar wind drags along with it) to point much more directly
away from the sun. In a similar way, because of its very high conductivity,
the solar wind distorts the outer part of the earth's magnetic field so
that the resulting magnetosphere has an extended `downstream' shape along
the flow of the solar wind. The high conductivity essentially prevents
magnetic field lines from crossing the flow of the plasma (and vice versa)
in accordance with Faraday's Law. Induced currents and the resultant forces
on them essentially force the two (solar wind flow lines and the earth's
magnetic field lines) to take on the same flow pattern.

Lew