Re: POE summary (was Re: Work/Energy theorem?)

You keep talking around my question. If you can "do physics" from the
"accelerating frame" then you must identify gravitational SOURCES which are
synchronized to the engineer's actions. DO it!
(It can be made to work - it all depends on how "wierd" you are willing to
get!) Let's have your model.

This again sounds, to me, like an attempt to draw a distinction between
the gravitational field that appears on the surface of the earth and the
one that appears on the decelerating train that simply does not exist from
either viewpoint #1 or viewpoint #2.
If you ask me
(again) to identify the source of a gravitational field (time-dependent or
not), I'll express my opinion (again) that it is acceleration with respect
to an inertial frame. This, notwithstanding the fact that inertial frames
are, in turn, determined somehow (this is where GR comes in) by the matter
in the universe.

There is an important point about the principle of equivalence that
is being missed in this discussion -- it only applies *locally*. You
don't get to make global statements or make measurements of things
that are not located at the same place as you. This includes sources
of gravitational fields. They are perforce not where you are and so
you don't get to talk about them in a local context.

The equivalence principle does not say that gravitational fields and
uniform accelerations are the same thing. It does say that *locally*
they cannot be distinguished. *Locally* the only thing you can
measure is your acceleration and you cannot tell what the source of
it is.

Yes, you can formally replace the uniform acceleration of a train
with a uniform gravitational field *locally* but that does not mean
that it *is* a uniform gravitational field, simply that it is
equivalent to one. If you want to look for sources, you must do a
nonlocal experiment and then you can tell the difference between the
two.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227