Re: polarized lasers?

If you look inside a typical HeNe laser you'll either see glued-on
mirrors (for randomly polarized lasers) or external mirrors with
brewster windows on the gas discharge tube (for polarized lasers).

The glued-on mirror approach means that there is no preferred
polarization mode, not that the output is unpolarized. As various
lasing oscillation modes (think of the two mirrors supporting
standing waves) come and go you see various polarizations. Especially
if the laser tube has a large internal diameter you can see some with
some intensity structure as well (the TEM modes). Why the time scale
is on the order of seconds I don't know. I've observed just what you
report. Usually several oscillation modes are active at one time, so
the intensity of any particular polarization doesn't vary by a lot,
but you can detect it easily by measuring the power transmitted
through a linear polarizer.

Lasers with brewster windows are strictly polarized, since there is
essentially no loss at the window for the preferred polarization.

The vast majority of research lasers are polarized due to brewster
windows or other surfaces at brewster's angle (eg, a dye laser jet).
This makes actually using the laser easier since you often have to
bounce the beam off of several mirrors, (which have different
reflectances for different polarization) and so the intensity will
vary with time if the laser is not polarized.