Re: Weight

meanwhile. As far as I know gravitational weight is the only way to teach
in UK , Australia, South Africa, Western Europe (?) I think, Russia is
practicing an operational definition. I am writing this message as I was
positively surprised to discover views, similar to mine, on this subject of
weight in some contributors to this important forum. Since 1992 I am
constantly advocating operational weight definition in my talks at AAPT
summer meetings. Some support in the beginning from Mario Iona was
important. We see that the story is not finished.
I agree and have been advocating this for years. Just as we don't give a
special name to electrical force, why do we need to give one to the gravi-
tational force? Also, since we define weight as mg in most textbooks, which
g are we talking about? The one defined as GM/R^2 or the one for the
rotating earth?

Van

Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu
Purdue University