Re: Force Sensors Must Measure Acceleration??

On Wed, 9 Apr 1997, David Bowman wrote:
BTW, since gravitational forces (locally) are not "real" but are artifacts of
the use of a noninertial frame used to describe the physics, I prefer *not*
to define the concept of "weight" as (the magnitude of) the gravitational
force on an object. Such a definition makes an object's weight depend on the
coordinate system of the observer. I prefer to define weight as what others
define as "apparent weight" which is simply the magnitude of the
*non*gravitational force of support on a body which prevents a free fall
state (or equivalently, which deflects the motion from a free fall state).
This definition of weight is independent of the frame of the observer and
agrees with our usual sensations of weight.

David Bowman
dbowman@gtc.georgetown.ky.us

Bravo to David Bowman's whole post, of which only the end is reproduced
above. If this thread evoked only that it would be worth it.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu
Department of Physics, Box 124 PHONE: (504) 865 3647 (Office)
Loyola University 865 2245 (Home)
New Orleans, LA 70118 FAX: (504) 865 2453