Re: coefficient of friction

This is a very complex topic having to do with the details of the facing
materials. For example, if the speed is high enough to melt one side of
the interface, the coefficient goes down. The field of tribology is
really not very old, and there is little fundamental understanding of
what happens at a microscopic level. I believe the usual data seen in
textbooks are for dry steel rubbing on dry steel...polished as well.
To give you another example of how touchy friction is, if the interface
is metal on diamond, about one half an atomic layer of hydrogen adsorbed
on the surface of the diamond will change the friction force by a factor
of more than two.
Most of the time we are rubbing grease and dirt on grease and dirt, since
most materials are covered with several atom layers (at least) of the
gunk.
Sorry I can't provide a simpler answer.

cheers

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Michael Crofton