Re: Feeling Acceleration

At 4:13 PM on 4/8/97, <phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu> wrote:

My point precisely! Our sensations register exactly the force we
experience, and not at all the acceleration.

I think I understand your point that acceleration isn't (directly) felt.
*But* when the elevator starts upward, the sensation I feel is certainly
not limited to my feet.

So I might describe the situation as:

net force-> acceleration ->internal stresses/fluid displacements

which are felt in the pit of my stomach, inner ear and other places. I
*suppose* we could leave acceleration out, but without it---if the force on
my feet is balanced by some other force---the sensation is entirely
different.

A. R. Marlow E-MAIL: marlow@beta.loyno.edu

Chip

J. D. Sample (501) 698-4625