Re: Charge on the Earth

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Mark Shapiro wrote:

I'm not sure I agree with John's statement that the earth deviates
"substantially" from neutrality. ... any
slight charging of the battery-capacitor system by atmospheric effects
would be negligible in comparison to the amount of charge being separated
by the action of the battery.

Mark,

I agree with everything you wrote. The point of my post was simply to
point out 1) that no capacitor is likely to have have equal magnitude
charges on its plates and 2) that it doesn't matter. I'd just emphasize
that the reason it doesn't matter is *not* that the excess charge is
negligible.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223